Home

 Cropped_GFWC_Logo_2747C-1245C-1815C-K_emblem-300x300

The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. Collectively, we are Living the Volunteer Spirit.

 

For more information about the local White Mountain Woman’s Club, visit the “About” page.

Explanation of the GFWC Emblem

The emblem of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs is a thing of beauty and significance.

BLACK: The black background represents the “Darkness of Ignorance”

CRUSADER’S SHIELD: The Crusader’s shield on the black field signifies enlightenment, “women emerging from the shadow of ignorance.”

Each of the three colors of the Shield has a special meaning:

RED: The red is for the Courage of the women who accept the responsibility of membership in an organization dedicated to service. WHITE: The white suggests the purity which is woman’s most effective weapon in her crusade of advancement. BLUE: The blue represents constancy which enables her to remain steadfast to her noble purposes.

The lettering on the circle of white stands for “General Federation of Women’s Clubs.”

The outer, unbroken circle suggests “For all eternity.” The Circle has no beginning and no end. All parts are fused together to form one perfect and harmonious whole.

The motto, “Unity in Diversity”, describes a united band of women struggling eternally for the causes in which they believe.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Beginning…

General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC)

Mission – The GFWC is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. Now 125 Years Old.

1868 – GFWC’s roots can be traced back to Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional New York journalist (who wrote under the pen name of Jennie June) attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens.  Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender.  In response, she formed a club for women, named Sorosis.

1890 – Jane Croly extended an invitation to women’s clubs throughout the United States to attend a ratification convention in New York City.  Sixty-three clubs attended and took action to form the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC).

1898 – GFWC unanimously passed a resolution against child labor.

1901 – The 56th Congress of the United States chartered GFWC and designated that the Federation be headquartered in Washington, D.C.

1910’s – GFWC supported legislation for the eight-hour workday and worker’s compensation.

1922 – GFWC Clubwomen purchased 1734 N. Street, NW, Washington, D.C. to serve as the Federation’s International Headquarters.

1944 – GFWC – through “Buy A Bomber” campaign during WW11, sold war bonds worth $154,459,132 dollars – enough money to purchase 431 airplanes.

1961 – GFWC supported the Seat Belts Program. 1990 – GFWC celebrated its centennial anniversary.

1990’s – GFWC actively supported the passage of the Violence Against Women Act; the Americans with Disabilities Act; the Family and Medical Leave Act; and legislation supporting handgun control.

1997 – Clubwomen raised and donated $13.5 million to public libraries and public school libraries across the nation.

2000’s – GFWC members contributed $180,000 for a fully-equipped ambulance for use by the New York Fire Department in response to the loss of equipment due to the September 11, 2001 attack.

2013/2016 – These are but a few of the programs and resolutions GFWC has supported and continues to support on a national level.

 

Arizona …  115 YEARS OLD 1901-2016

At the heart of much of the Arizona Federation work were children – as it is at the national level and for all of the clubs.  In Arizona they petitioned the legislature for laws against child labor, Juvenile Courts, well equipped schools, and trained teachers.

Today, we have 40 clubs in Arizona.  Some clubs were established in the late 1800’s during the time of Arizona’s territory and early Statehood under different names.  After they became chartered and affiliated with GFWC, some names changed to what they are today, and some may have two dates.

1901 (1895) Monday Club

1901 (1894) Tucson Woman’s Club

1901 (1899) Bisbee Woman’s Club

1902 – Glendale Woman’s Club

1903 (1899) Winslow Woman’s Club

1914 (1912) Washington Woman’s Club

1914 (1914) Duncan Woman’s Club

1914 (1912) Tempe Woman’s Club

1915 (1896) Woman’s Club of Safford

1917 (1911) Roosevelt Neighbrhd Woman’s Club

1917 (1914) Peoria-West Valley WC

1920 – Benson Woman’s Club

1923 – Nogales Woman’s Club

1923 – Buckeye Woman’s Club

1936 (1935) ViSaWen Woman’s Club

1936 (1933) Tempe Junior Woman’s Club

1937 (1931) Patagonia Woman’s Club

1947 – Kachina Junior Woman’s Club

1950 – Glendale Junior Woman’s Club

1951 – Kachina Woman’s Club

1956 – Benson Junior Woman’s Club

1956 – Parker Junior Woman’s Club

1958 – Las Noches Woman’s Club

1960 – Sierra Vista Woman’s Club

1960 – Desert Jade Woman’s Club

1961 – Paradise Valley Woman’s Club

1964 – White Mountain Woman’s Club

1974 – Mt Lemmon Woman’s Club

1977 – Paradise Valley Junior Women’s Club

1981 – London Bridge Woman’s Club

1984 – Morristown WC

1987 (1901) Florence Woman’s Club

1990 – ESO 5th Wheels Woman’s Club

1991 – Quartzsite Woman’s Club

1994 – Chili Peppers

1997 – Dragoon WC

2001 – Huachuca JWC

2014 – Top of the Pines Woman’s Club

2014 – Hassayampa WC

Advertisements